An Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) is a collection of technologies that work together to provide a comprehensive solution for managing the creation, capture, indexing, storage, retrieval, and disposition of records and information assets of the organization.
NDIT assists EDMS Users within ND in defining and establishing systems for scanning, workflow, automated record storage, and automated document retention. This typically includes the evaluation of existing business processes and recommendations for improvements.
The EDMS Evolution has produced mature EDMS Technologies within ND that continue to drive down the cost of government. The key is to review existing business processes, eliminate unnecessary steps and activities, implement technology wisely, and leverage the whole power of EDMS Technology Interaction.
- The process of creating an electronic copy of a document.
- Content Management
- Provides a secure location for storing electronic objects and an index for quickly identifying and retrieving information.
- Forms Processing / Eforms
- Automates form recognition and data extraction for paper forms and replaces costly paper forms
- Enterprise Report Management
- Used to electronically capture, index, burst, distribute, and store system-generated reports/documents.
- Automates business processes to increase efficiency and automate decision-making.
NDIT’s online Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a Service Request.
- Complete an "EDMS" request for user-ID maintenance, Liquid Office form design/conversion, EDMS technical analysis/questions, or table updates.
- Complete a "Software Dev/GIS/PM/QA" request for projects requiring software development resources. This would include FileNet work (custom search setup, new/updated document classes, e-Forms, BPM), new project estimates, or new/updated imaging templates.
- ILINX Email Import
Resources for Authorized Users
- A web-based FileNet Content Navigator client is available to EDMS Users in ND with authorized Active Directory credentials.
- FileNet P8 Content Manager Training is available to EDMS Users in ND with authorized Active Directory credentials. Select Public Folders and Training.
State government runs on information. We create, collect, process, distribute, store, manage, retrieve, maintain and dispose of information as an integral part of every business process and activity of the organization. In an effort to increase our efficiency we have spent millions to create business applications and systems that can process vast volumes of information. Additionally, we have invested heavily in desktop technologies to provide access to applications, communication with others, and deliver productivity tools to the individual employee.
In spite of our investments, we still spend a considerable amount of each day manually processing or searching for information. In addition, the amount of information we must work with is increasing at an incredible rate. EDMS technologies offer a solution, delivering immediate value and increasing organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
The reasons for using EDMS are compelling:
- Improve access to records and information – authorized users can search across the unit, department or even access documents maintained by other agencies with a single search query. Workflow can automatically notify internal or external users when needed information has arrived or has been processed.
- Improve customer service – retained or in-process information can be immediately accessed. Accessed information can be faxed or emailed to the customer from the desktop.
- Reduce queue time – information can be routed electronically using email or workflow eliminating mailing and transport activities.
- Minimize duplication – a single copy of a document can be made available to all authorized users, including those outside the agency.
- Decrease data keying requirements – forms processing and eforms can access current data via lookups and export form data directly to business applications.
- Outsource data entry – eform data entry is done by the individual filling out the form.
- Reduce storage and retrieval expense – a single repository reduces the need to store multiple copies while standardized indexing and integration with business applications allows users to instantly access needed documents or other information.
- Automate business processes – workflow can be used to move information from one step to another. Rules based routing can automatically determine needed activity and work steps. Work object or referenced data can automatically update business applications, create additional documents or workflows, and communicate with internal and external users.
- Improve regulatory compliance – technologies can create audit trails of access and activity. Compliance with Records Retention Schedules can be automated and improved. Incoming documents can be automatically classified and stored in the system.
- Enable reuse of information – Previously processed information can be used to prepopulate forms or validate and standardize incoming data.
- Improve quality of data – use of automated filling and validation capabilities of eforms reduce the potential for missing or misplaced data. Features like auto-formatting, required fields, standardized selections, and dynamic form configuration validate data prior to submission reducing re-work and time-consuming correction processes.
- Share information with external entities – existing information collections can be directly accessed by authorized external user.
- Support external processing – external users can access the system, scanning, indexing, storing, and retrieving documents in a central repository.
- Increased information security – documents and information stored in the EDMS is protected from unauthorized access by stringent security requirements. Backups provide vital records and disaster recovery protections. Protection by duplication is easily achieved using either offsite copies or system generated microfilm.