Instant Messaging (IM) allows real-time communication with contacts. People can instantly tell if a colleague is online and chat with them using text, audio, and/or video. For a fee, collaboration may be enhanced with white-boarding, file transfer, application sharing, and remote desktop control.
Visit Microsoft's website for Quick Start Guides about Skype for Business.
Features within the Standard Features list are capabilities included within the FTE fee rate structure:
- Allow immediate, text-based conversations between colleagues.
- Presence Detection
- To enable one computer user to see whether another user is currently logged on. People have control over how their online status appears to others.
- Desktop Audio/Video Conferencing
- To allow PC to PC dynamic, on-demand sharing of information through a virtual "face-to-face" meeting.
The users that initiate the following features will require additional software licensing (Microsoft Enterprise CAL). As such, additional fees apply for these features. To request the enterprise features, please submit a WMS request.
- To allow multiple users to initiate a white board session and write or draw on a shared virtual tablet.
- Application Sharing
- To enable the user the ability to initiate an application or desktop sharing event.
- Remote Desktop Control
- To enable a support professional to initiate an event to take control of all functionality on another user's computer.
Users may initiate voice calls from within the IM client. A plug-in from Avaya can be installed that can function similar to Microsoft Remote Call Control (RCC) and allow the capability to initiate a call through a user's desk phone.
- Avaya Lync/Skype for Business Plugin Installation Instructions
- Avaya Lync/Skype for Business Plugin User Guide
Note: Follow the Avaya Outlook Plugin Installation Instructions to enable dialing capabilities from Outlook and internet browsers.
Agencies may opt-in to communicate with other Skype for Business users outside of the nd.gov domain. Currently, federation allows people within state government to connect with people within the ND University Systems (ndus.edu) and the ND K-12 education community (k12.nd.us). There is no additional cost for this functionality, and it can be enabled per-agency upon request.
NDIT’s online Work Management System (WMS) may be used to submit a Service Request for “Email/IM/Rightfax/Quota.” On the form, click the drop-down box by Instant Messaging and select “Add Instant Messaging to this Email Account.” When requesting a large number of IM accounts at one time, simply fill out one Service Request and attach a spreadsheet with all the User Names.
Requests are typically completed within one business day.